Friday, September 23, 2011

Fit to be Tired

This morning, Mike rolled off to work about 7:40, and I ambled down to have breakfast a bit after 8. Gigi had a meeting scheduled with someone, and so was on her way out in the morning, so I took advantage of the early blue skies to do a little exploratory riding.

Rode out of Manteo, over the bridge to Nags Head and then jinked right to get onto the beach road, Highway 12. There was a sign that the road was out 8 miles to the south, toward Hatteras Island, so I went north. Most of the road was just a huge conglomeration of Monopoly hotels (mostly houses the size of hotels) all crammed sidebysidebyside. On the right, where the ocean was, the sand dunes were high enough to block any water views, and on the left, the huge beach houses went back a block or two deep. There is a lot for sale that has land for four building sites, but it's not really that big a plot. Most of the houses that are a block back have decks built up at the level of the upper gable of the roof so they can see over the front layer of homes and hotels.

Going north, I kept my visor open, but once I turned to head south, puttering along at 35 mph, I had to close the visor, because I was now getting sand blown into my eyes. Down at the south end of Nags Head is Jennette's Pier, which has been rebuilt multiple times over the years, and the last time, was constructed with concrete piers. It looks like it could last through a couple dozen storms going forward. There was a surfing competition going on while I was there, so the peaceful lull of the surf was drowned by loudspeakers interviewing surfer dudes and talking about the weather, the waves, the scores, etc.

I headed back to the house after my little cruise, wondering how/when I'd hear from Mike, since he mentioned he'd call after his meeting, but I was pretty sure he didn't have my number. There's a shop down the street that will change tires (off the bike) for $20, and Mike had an old track-day tire I could swap out for my front tire that really didn't need to go another 500 miles to get home. However, I didn't have any expertise or tools to take off the front wheel (but with a torque wrench and the right bits, I could do it now), so we were going to have to meet back up to get that done.

After a bit, Gigi came back home, and since it was the afternoon 'rest period' for the pilots, we thought we'd do some local stuff before calling over to the hangar to see how Mike wanted to proceed. We planned to go out to the ocean, and I ran upstairs to change into my swimsuit, when lo and behold, Mike came through the front door, off for the rest of the day. Beach plans were shelved, and I put my riding togs on over my shorts and t-shirt, and rode over the to the hangar behind Mike.

Once inside, I rolled up beside Shy Dean's workbench, and turned the bike off. Up on the centerstand, and Mike was busy loosening the pinch bolts, the brake calipers, the axle nut all in a flash. He was a man on a mission with a tight schedule, and moving right along. Once the wheel was off, we set it in the back of the pickup and stopped by the house, looking for one of his shop manuals for the bike so he could find the torque specs for putting it back together. After a fruitless search, we left and (eventually) dropped the wheel and better tire off at the shop up the road for them to change it out.

When Mike introduced me to the tire guy when he dropped off the wheel, tire guy said he'd already seen Mike's 'riding buddy' the other day, when we kept heading out and back in to the neighborhood on different bikes. Mike assured him he was still married to Gigi, and that he'd taken to introducing me as his niece :)

Back to the hangar we went, where Mike did find the elusive shop manual, and then checked the specs for the chain. He tried to adjust it some, but there wasn't a whole lot of movement he could get, and since it is within tolerance of the specs, he just tightened it back up and called it good. While doing that, he got a call from his boss who wanted to have a meeting at the hangar in a few minutes, so the rather harried Mike dropped me back off at the house, saying he'd pick up the wheel before coming back to get me, after the meeting.

Knowing how his 30 minute meetings can turn into 2 hour meetings, Gigi and I walked back down the street so I could go ahead and pay for the installation, and I just carried the newly tired wheel back to the house. It seemed to get heavier, the longer it took for us to get back. When we were picking the wheel up, another guy was at the shop and the whole 'mystery rider' came up again. Apparently my turns in and out of the neighborhood made an impression :) He's more of a drag racer type, though, so he prefers the straightaway, rather than the twisty. Mike, on the other hand, goes slow in the straights and then really wicks it up through the curves.

At any rate, we got back home, with the faithful Wobs having accompanied us, and about 20 minutes later, Mike called, and Gigi let him know we'd gotten the tire (which was the reason he'd called...it was 10 'til 5). About 25 minutes later he got home, and we headed back over to finish what we'd started. The reassembly went pretty well, although it did take three tries to get the mental math right of converting 23 foot-pounds of torque to foot-inches (it's that higher math that'll get you). Axle got re-greased, and the chain got lubed with the extra special gear oil he's got. About the time we were just about done, the sky decided to let loose, and it was pouring rain.

Once everything was put back to rights and the tools replaced (can't have a grumpy mechanic), we checked the radar, but there wasn't much of a break, so we left the Viffer and just went back home for some supper. After supper, it had let up a good bit, but not stopped, so Mike offered to ride the bike back from the hangar and I could drive, which would keep my gear dry as long as possible. (Have I ever mentioned how swell a guy he is?)

Back at the house, Gigi had some folks to meet around 7:45, so she headed out, leaving three more pieces of low carb pizza on the stone, and I went upstairs to face the unenviable task of packing. It's pretty much done now, except for what I have on now (still have my swimsuit on underneath...), and what I'll wear tomorrow. Have to fit in the few leftover odds and ends, but that'll take no time in the morning. If the morrow is anything like the last few days, it will start out clear enough, and then deteriorate. Radar looks like it might be moving on, but stuff keeps popping up. The goal is to leave by 9, but even if it's 10, I should still make it home by around 6 p.m.

At supper, again, Mike and Gigi were saying it was a shame the weather had been so rainy, because this is very atypical for this area, but that it just meant I'd have to come back another time to try out the stuff I missed on this visit. I think I like the way they think :))

No comments:

Post a Comment